Here’s a simple fact.
If you are going to organise an event of any kind it is probably going to cost you more than that figure you plucked from mid-air in the management meeting. Not least because once you’ve decided to call a meeting, hold a conference or take your sales team for a bit of bonding you will get all inspired to add the odd extra here and there.
But if thrift is the order of the day there are lots of ways to accomplish your goals without breaking the bank.
- Keep the guest list really tight – does the CEOs nephew really need to come as well?
- Take a good look at your office – are the facilities of your boardroom as good as the hotel you were thinking of booking? Why not spend some of cash you would have spent on the hire charge on sprucing it up.
- Want to motivate your staff? Rather than trying to find an activity that will appeal to all why not hire a motivational speaker for the afternoon to entertain and re-energise.
- Do something small on a regular basis rather than something big once a year.
- Bring your clients and customers together for breakfast or afternoon tea. Travel to them rather than paying for them all to come to you.
If you are planning an event that requires something more sophisticated, make sure you shop around. There is a lot of choice, and depending upon your timing, some great deals to be had. If you don’t have to have your event in peak season (February-June, September-November) there will be some terrific bargains to be had. And make sure you look beyond the normal conference hotels, some of the best customer service is delivered in the cosy confines of private clubs.